Struers, the world's leading manufacturer of materials testing equipment and consumables, is looking for a Materials Application Engineer to increase our resources of technical and sales support to potential and existing customers.
The candidate will be part of an Applications team and will work from our US headquarters in Westlake, OH. Some travel will take place nationally, with occasional international travel.
The Struers product line includes sample preparation equipment such as cutting, grinding, polishing, mounting, as well as hardness testing, image archiving, image analysis software, and microscopes. Primary duties include preparation of lab samples, applications support to both internal and external customers, product demonstrations and training in Westlake and at customer sites, trade shows, workshops and promotional activities.
The ideal candidate has 5 plus years prior experience in the field of metallography / materials science. Experience in hardness testing is also a plus. This results driven individual must demonstrate superior verbal communication and customer service skills with a good understanding of sales support.
Struers has affiliates in 22 countries. Customers include fortune 500 companies in the automotive, aerospace, electronics, materials manufacturing and a wide variety of other industries which must measure and control the quality of the solid materials used in production.
To the qualified candidate we offer:
- Competitive salary
- 15 paid vacation days annually, floating holiday, sick days, volunteer days, holidays and a paid day off for your birthday
- Excellent benefits – health insurance (with employee contribution), 401(k) with immediate companymatch, employee stock purchase plan, flexible spending accounts
- Company laptop and smart phone
- Stable, profitable company that has been in business for more than 140 years
- Corporate culture which values open communication and innovative thinking
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Technical and applications support for the Struers materials testing product line to both internal and external customers
- Prepare customer samples to develop preparation procedures for customers
- Demonstrate products to customers in-house, on-site, via tradeshows, WebEx,
- Provide training for customers and Struers employees
- Develop and implement educational training activities and training courses to both internal and external customers
- Full participation in Lean activities such as 5S, as well as rendering assistance to customers with resolving quality issues
- AS, BS or MS in Material Sciences / Metallurgy (or equivalent certificate / related work experience)
- Previous experience with metallographic sample preparation and microscopy is required
- Previous experience with hardness testing and/or image analysis software a plus
- Excellent computer skills including hands on PC hardware, PC software, and Microsoft Office Suite a plus
- Extrovert individual who enjoys traveling and interacting with customers
- Product demonstration and presentation experience
- Energetic team player with the ability to contribute and interact with colleagues all over the world
- Structured and analytical approach to tasks and problem solving
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Prior experience with ISO and ASTM Standards relating to hardness testing and microstructural image analysis a plus
- Ability to travel overnight with some international travel
- Clean driving record
- COVID-19 Vaccination
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Type: Full-time