Controls Engineer - Packaging Equipment Department
Location: Telford, PA
Salary: Commensurate with experience
KEY JOB DUTIES
- Perform detailed design of control systems for complex machines, specifying all electrical components (power distribution, PLC, I/O, motion control, communications, sensors, wiring, etc.).
- Create electrical schematics and panel layouts using 2D CAD software (AutoCAD).
- Write PLC and HMI software to operate these machines.
- Implement hardware and software modifications to existing equipment in order to improve capabilities. efficiency, reliability, performance, etc.
- Document all designs and engineering decisions for future reference (CAD, BOM’s, calculations, etc.).
- Provide Fres-co technicians with sufficient documentation to allow proper assembly.
- Supervise the electrical assembly process and note problem areas. Assist with wiring as needed.
- Assist with machine debug, acceptance testing, installation, and troubleshooting (both in-person / hands-on and remotely).
- Interface with sales, customers, field service, and R&D for all stages of the project.
- Provide technical assistance to customers / Fres-co technicians (occasionally outside of normal working hours).
- Interface with vendors and purchasing department in order to obtain quotations, necessary parts, and ensure quality.
- Provide technical feedback to sales / management with regards to feasibility, cost, etc.
- Help maintain organized file system for engineering documents (programs, drawings, manuals, etc.).
- Contribute to the creation of service manuals.
- Assist with software license maintenance duties.
- Share technical knowledge with customers and Fres-co personnel in both formal and informal training settings.
- Submit regular progress reports / trip reports.
- Participate in other business functions (cost estimates, development of engineering standards, continuous improvement efforts, scheduling, safety audits, etc.).
Skill / Knowledge:
- Track record of creating machine PLC programs using Rockwell Automation / Allen Bradley RSLogix / Studio 5000 software
- Ability to read and troubleshoot existing PLC logic to resolve complex problems and/or optimize machine performance
- Experience with servo motion control techniques used in aforementioned software
- Knowledge of industrial electronic panel design / layout
- Proficiency in creating electrical schematics using 2D CAD software
- Ability to create user interface software for use on common industrial HMI’s
- Very strong electrical troubleshooting background
- Moderate to high level of mechanical aptitude
- Understanding of engineering units, concepts of physics
- Experience building complex electrical panels and wiring devices from detailed electrical schematics
- Strong attention to detail
- Strict adherence to standards, structure
- Superior quality of workmanship
- Solid judgment with minimal supervision or work direction
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage numerous requests, both internal to Fres-co and external (customer coordination)
- Working knowledge of packaging machinery (especially VFFS equipment) (preferred, not required)
- Knowledge of food safety / GMP’s / process equipment / aseptic packaging / coffee industry (preferred, not required)
Experience / Education Requirements:
- 4-year engineering degree preferred, (2 year technical college degree plus technical work experience can be substituted)
- Experience in a manufacturing / production environment
- Experience with the following software is preferred: Rockwell Automation Studio 5000, AutoCAD, Siemens SIMATIC, Wonderware
- Experience with customer interaction (at all levels of the customer organization: shop floor to executive)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $75,000.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person