Location: Birmingham, AL
Title: Civil Project Manager
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: As Needed
“Large Firm Expertise, Small Firm Responsiveness” has become a staple across our company and is present in the work we do on a daily basis. Service is at the heart of our culture; consistently exceeding expectations allows us to build lasting relationships with our clients and our employees. Driven by our core values of Integrity, Responsiveness, Exceptional Service, and a “Can Do” Attitude, we approach our roles within all projects with professionalism and a team mentality. Dedicated to these values, we take pride and ownership in every project and have created a culture that is well defined and unique.
LBYD was founded in 1973 with the incorporation of E. Glenn Bishop & Associates. In 1978, with the merger of the structural engineering firm Lane & Hodnett Structural Engineers, the firm became Lane/Bishop/Hodnett, Inc. In 1987, the firm became LaneBishopYorkDelahay Inc., which is known today as LBYD Engineers. In 2001, LBYD began offering civil engineering services. With the addition of the civil department and the continued commitment of our structural department, LBYD has experienced growth at a phenomenal rate. We continue to pursue growth opportunities evidenced by opening more branch offices throughout the Southeast region.
A Project Manager (PM) is an experienced licensed engineer who can define a project, develop a set of tasks to accomplish the project, coordinate and monitor the work required, and deliver a final product on time and within prescribed budget. The PM is responsible for the quality of work performed, managing project scope, client service, client maintenance, utilization of staff, reputation of the office, contract management, billing collection and project profitability.
The PM prepares project proposals for review by an Associate or Principal and may participate in presenting the proposal to the client. The PM participates in selecting the internal and external project team; determines major project design decisions in conjunction with the client and project team; assigns duties to project team, answers questions; monitors their progress; and checks accuracy of completed work. Additionally, the PM maintains a close relationship with the client throughout development of the project. They approves all changes to contract documents after completion of the design phase. They may be required to help collect fees from client and maintain client contact after the project is completed.
- To meet the ethical obligations associated with Professional Engineer licensure
- The responsibilities of an Assistant Project Manager in addition to the following:
- Coordinate with client and project stakeholders to prepare scopes of services and fee proposals for projects for review and approval by a Principal, Associate Principal or Associate.
- Provide the scheduling, budgeting, design scope, quality control and supervision of Project Engineers, Design Engineers and Engineering Technicians during the planning, design and construction of typical engineering projects.
- Review the scope of services and desired deliverables for each project and develop a task list and schedule to review with the project team prior to starting work. Work with the client to obtain payment for work identified as work requests outside of contracted scope of services. Review invoices and send to Accounting. Spot check Client Status Reports for content, accuracy, grammar and spelling.
- Prepare written work requests and requests for proposals for all information needed by subconsultants on each project. Work with subconsultants to determine the correct amount of information necessary to perform the specific engineering task.
- Manage the schedule and flow of information among the design team and subconsultants. Review the information received from the subconsultants to determine if all needed information has been obtained and for accuracy. Check all calculations where possible.
- Coordinate the research of county records and other public sources as to obtain necessary project data for design purposes. Review and approve preliminary design drawings as submitted by the Design/Project Engineer prior to allowing the beginning of detailed project design. Review and approve design development by the Design/Project Engineer prior to allowing the beginning of detailed project design. Identify potential design problems as early as possible and coordinate solutions with the design team. Review all necessary applications and check lists for project submittals. Attend and run project meetings with clients and local approving agencies. Assist in the coordination and expedition of the review and approval process with jurisdictions having approval authority over project. Maintain regular contact with clients to ensure client satisfaction.
- Review the final design drawings submitted by Design/Project Engineer for completeness and accuracy prior to review by superiors and QC authority. Backcheck comments and provide final review prior to submittal. Use corporate programs and check sheets set up for quality control on each project. Respond to construction-related problems as quickly as possible. Coordinate with corporate management as needed.
- Mentor and provide direct hands-on assistance when teaching new design elements, oral and writing skills to employees under supervision. Assist in review of time sheets of the employees under supervision. Review current schedule and status of the budget for each project on a weekly basis with Design/Project Engineer, using scheduling and project management tools provided by management. Prepare weekly schedule for Design Engineers and Engineering Technicians. Review weekly schedule by Project Engineers.
- Provide an accurate accounting of time with descriptions for each time entry on a weekly basis. Track key performance elements of the Project Manager position and report to Supervisor. Review key performance elements for supervised employees and report to Supervisor. Be innovative and develop new ways to work smarter and improve efficiency.
- Provide a steady pipeline of opportunities through business development with external community members.
- Participate in various community events to bring brand awareness and business development opportunities.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of various engineering roles.
- Work alongside functional departments to fulfill corporate needs.
- Perform other duties assigned by a Principal or Associate.
- May be required to travel periodically to project meetings and construction sites. Typically, day trips or overnight trips, however occasionally longer trips are necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Licensed Professional Engineer with minimum of 4 years' experience
- Successful as an Assistant Project Manager or applicable role
- Displays Leadership qualities
- Provides a positive work environment
- Respects the role of others to the design team
- Proven success in a management role
- Ability to delegate tasks to others
- Ability to design all components of a project
- Ability to manage projects from inception to completion
- Aptitude to lead others in design of a project and ensure project completeness
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage use of time both personally and other team members
- Strong verbal communications and technical writing skills
- Proven ability to communicate with internal and external project team members, various stakeholders including clients, jurisdictional and utility authorities, and members of the community.
- Ability to prepare calculations and reports that clearly express project requirements
- Proficient with civil design software including AutoCAD, Civil3D and stormwater design programs (Has the ability to verify others work within the appropriate design software)
- Experience and success preparing design calculations and design documents (plans and specifications)
- Proficient using spreadsheets, word processing, and standard office software
- Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment.
- Must be highly motivated, proactive, a critical thinker, and willing to take on new opportunities
- Physical Demands:
- Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body, involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person