Product Design Engineers- Consumer Products Engineer / Industrial Solutions Engineer / Medical Devices Engineer (Experienced & Entry Level Positions)
What You'll Be Doing_*
As a Product Design Engineer on our team, you will be executing on product engineering tasks with projects assigned based on the industry you have experience in and the level of experience you have. We are hiring for consumer products, industrial products, and medical devices, and looking for both entry level and highly experienced product engineers with strong mechanical engineering skills in any one or multiple of those industries. You will be designing in Solidworks and supporting Project Managers with client communications and updates and the Strategic Sourcing Team with any vendor communications. Tasks involve 3D modeling, drafting detailed dimensioned drawings for parts and assemblies, following revision control protocols, and publishing BOMs for costing. Engineering often involves working with the 3D print technician to test assumptions and build proof of concept models and prototypes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include_*
- Complex part design for plastic injection molding experience required
- Design for Manufacturing knowledge required for experienced positions: Plastic injection molding, sheet metal, casting, extrusion, machining, etc
- Multi-part plastic assembly experience required for experienced positions
- Wire Harness/Wire Routing Design experience required for experienced position s
- Create 3D CAD models of designs using Solidworks and prepare 2D drawings that convey the design for manufacturing and assembly purposes.
- Work closely with the customer to capture their design intent and to communicate general project details.
- Complete product designs for projects ranging from small private inventors to large companies developing new products and support them from concept, detailed design, prototype, manufacturing, to assembly and packaging.
- Provide creative and innovative solutions to design challenges presented in projects ranging from biomedical, defense, rail, agriculture, exercise equipment, pharmaceutical, household devices, etc
- Develop and build protocols and fixtures for component validation testing of new product designs.
- Complete finite element analysis of product components and assemblies using Solidworks
- Project planning and management of customers and suppliers
- Strategically source component suppliers and select manufacturers for new designs.
- Communicate designs with manufacturers and component suppliers and source cost effective products.
- Occasional travel, domestic and international, for site review, first installation, and general project meetings.
- Experience talking to manufacturers
- Must be an Innovator that has excellent attention to detail and troubleshooting, possesses fabrication and electrical skills
- Proficient in Solidworks - PDM
- Microsoft Office
- Gannt Chart/ Project Management Software
- Time Tracking Software
- Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Enjoys working on challenging designs of disruptive new technologies in a team atmosphere
Who You Are (Ideally)
- You have a strong CAD Background
- You have a willingness to grow
- You know or know of the nuances of plastic part design
- You have 2-5 years of SOLIDWORKS experience
- You have some industry knowledge or deep domain expertise in either consumer product design, medical device design, or industrial engineering
- You have product design experience or experience in contract manufacturing
- You have experience in vendor negotiations, competitive bidding, and budgeting
- You have strong attention to detail and thrive on knowledge
- You are able to present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public in a professional courtesy manner
- You have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited information exists
- You are able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, and schedule form
- You have knowledge of Microsoft office with proficiency in Excel; ERP or order processing systems, and project management tools like Gantt charts
- You have a basic understanding of accounting and strong attention to detail as it pertains to project budget
Who We Are
Harbor Designs & Manufacturing helps both multinational brands and diverse startups and inventors bring new and often disruptive products to life! We have partnerships and collaborations with universities, hospital systems, and federal labs bringing new technologies to production. Every product and company is unique, and once we understand our client's unique product needs and goals we get to work, guiding them through the rough seas of product development, regulatory compliance, manufacturing, and supply chain strategy. We are their safe Harbor for design and manufacturing, working as part of their team so they can stay focused on what matters – running their business. When it’s a fit for the project we also offer in-house technical assembly, clean room assembly, warranty repair, and logistics support. We have designed and manufactured products in nearly every category and industry with a special emphasis on medical and biomedical devices but we also make products for the consumer market, rail and transportation markets, energy innovation, ag-tech/ aqua-tech, robotics, IOT devices, wearables, defense, and cyber security markets.
While Harbor Designs & Manufacturing opened its doors in 2008, we are very much in a high growth start-up mode and are looking for key team members who can help refine systems, build and lead teams, or just be strong team members open to direction. Upward advancement and lateral moves within the organization are always prioritized over new hires when an interest or proficiency is shared with management. Harbor offers unlimited PTO and supports continuing education for those interested in honing or expanding their skills. We pride ourselves on having a collaborative team environment where suggestions aren’t just heard but implemented. If you want to be a part of a dynamic growing team and work on cutting-edge technologies and innovations, apply today!
Why Join Us_*
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid Sick Leave
- Health, Dental, and Vision
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $125,000.00 per year