At L&M Radiator, Inc., the things we make are helping to keep America’s lights on. If you want to join a team that plays a vital role in our energy economy, we have an opportunity for you!
For over 65 years, L&M Radiator, Inc. has been a leading worldwide manufacturer of customized and carefully crafted heat exchangers for Mining, Construction, Oil, Gas and heavy-duty equipment industries. We are seeking motivated individuals to join our Design Team at our headquarters facility, located in beautiful northern Minnesota. This position is Monday-Friday 8a-5p with overtime when needed.
This position is responsible for designing and revising engineering drawings/models, bills of materials or layouts that comply with drafting design standards and meet the requirements outlined in Drawing Requests or Engineering Change Orders. The ideal candidate will be self-driven, focused, detail oriented, and enjoy working in an active department. Our company values teamwork and is driven by innovation and creative designs that our designers make.
Check out more detail and apply at www.mesabi.comand become a part of the Mesabi Difference!
Job Summary: Define SolidWorks design process best practices and standards to efficiently meet internal and external customer functional, technical and safety requirements. Using SolidWorks software, produce and revise engineering drawings/models, bill of materials or layouts that comply with drafting design standards and meet the requirements detailed in Drawing Requests (DR) or Engineering Change Orders (ECO).
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead efforts to improve modeling and design efficiency, including design automation.
- Documentation of procedures and design standards along with training of department personnel.
- Liaison to Production Engineering and manufacturing related to Design for Manufacturing and Assembly.
- Review/Process DR and ECOs and associated information, analyze, design, and retrieve information to complete drawings/models, layout or design.
- Coordinate with requester to discuss project scope and time schedule or receive and discuss project with supervisor.
- Be familiar with drafting standards and review design for compliance.
- Use SolidWorks/SmarTeam software to develop layouts, models/drawings and designs that meet engineering specifications.
- Prepare buyout material lists when required by DR.
- Complete data input forms for each product as required and check to ensure accuracy of other drafter’s forms.
- Sketch and measure cooling products from customers or units in the field to allow replacement of competitor’s cooling systems with L&M products.
- Assist customer service, purchasing, production suppliers with research and documentation as directed by supervisor.
- Report equipment problems to supervisor.
- Occasional weekly or weekend work may be required to complete a project.
- Perform related work or other job duties as required by supervisor.
- Perform work in a safe manner and follow all safety guidelines and procedure.
- Domestic and international travel required and could include weekend travel, depending on the project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Entry Level:
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Knowledge in engineering drafting principles, practices, methods, and equipment required.
- Skill in preparing and interpreting detailed drawings, graphs, charts, and specifications.
- Must be detail orientated, have mechanical aptitude and strong initiative.
- Ability to communicate, in English, effectively and clearly by both written and oral means.
- Understand and interpret complex and technical information.
- Demonstrate maturity, intelligence, cooperation, and discretion.
- Work effectively with fellow employees and independently.
- Dependability under both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Experience using 3D modeling software.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug and background test.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3D modeling experience
- 3-5 years of experience with SolidWorks, detail drawings for sheet metal assemblies, weldments and bolted assemblies.
- Knowledge of Epicor or similar ERP system.
- Experience in Design for Manufacturing and Assembly, 5S, or Six Sigma.
- Experience with Driveworks and/or equation driven modeling.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $55,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person