Under the direction of the VP of Continuous Improvement, this position is responsible for supporting and assisting the Continuous Improvement Organization (Business Unit and Manufacturing Plants) as “boots on the ground” in the organization, planning, implementation, and follow-through of manufacturing improvement initiatives. Correspondingly, the incumbent coordinates and leads a wide range of activities that are designed to improve on-time delivery, productivity, quality, cost, safety, and environmental performance. This position does not directly supervise other personnel. This position does support Operations Supervisors, Area Leads, and Plant Managers.
- Participate in the Howmet Business System implementation of continuous improvement initiatives and drive waste reductions utilizing Lean principles (JIT, Autonomation, Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen, 5S, Standard Work, Line/Cell Design, Single Piece Flow, Material Flow, Visual Management, SMED, TPM, Root Cause Problem Solving, etc.)
- Coordinate with resource departments within the assigned locations to fabricate, install, and implement improvements to drive waste down and increase efficiency and output.
- Develop Value Stream maps of key processes and product flows. Define the current condition of the facility(ies) to identify opportunities and create a target condition, with action plans to improve operational and financial results.
- Complete value stream mapping, identify opportunities, and lead shopfloor manufacturing efforts in process reengineering and process improvements in various plants.
- Facilitate successful kaizen, problem solving, and rapid improvement process events with both internal and external consultants, customers, and suppliers. This includes providing support to sustain all follow-throughs required to sustain the improvements initiated during those events, especially those concentrated on local improvement.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The incumbent will possess:
- Demonstrated experience in manufacturing improvement techniques, including flow principles, Kanban, and plan for every part (PFEP)
- Expertise in value stream mapping and associated improvement methodologies
- Understanding of pillars of Toyota production system (JIT, Autonomation)
- Experience evaluating TAKT time vs. cycle time, determining work area constraints (i.e. cycle time constraint, periodic work constraints, downtime constraints).
- Experience on shop floor, working with employees, and enhancing manufacturing processes
- Strong interpersonal skills requiring the ability to resolve conflicting interests and obtain cooperation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills: able to develop and use structured approaches to identify root causes and recommend resolutions
- Demonstrated experience in project leadership and project management skills, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet objectives and key deadlines
- At least two years of experience in manufacturing environments in areas such as: Operations, Engineering, Supply Chain, Quality, or Operational Excellence
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Continuous Improvement, Supply Chain Management or other related field of study
- Must have knowledge and understanding of Continuous Process Improvement methodologies such as Lean and Six Sigma
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as exhibit initiative and a high level of energy
- Must be willing to spend time on the manufacturing shop floor to learn and interact with employees
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and drive change
- Exhibit teamwork and go-getting attitude
- Good analytical/statistical problem-solving skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- Exceptional Excel Spreadsheet creation, macros, and related data analysis skills
- Three or more years of related experience
The incumbent shall take such steps as necessary to assure that all employment practices under his/her control, including hiring, firing, promotions, and discipline, are conducted in a nondiscriminatory fashion and without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, age or physical disability. Incumbent recognizes that accident prevention is equal to quality, production, delivery, and cost control and accepts the responsibility to work safety while promoting safety conscious among fellow employees.
About Howmet Aerospace
Howmet Aerospace Inc. (NYSE: HWM), headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a leading global provider of advanced engineered solutions for the aerospace and transportation industries. The Company’s sales for 2022 approximated $5.7 billion. The Company’s primary businesses focus on jet engine components, aerospace fastening systems, titanium structural parts and forged wheels. With nearly 1,150 granted and pending patents, the Company’s differentiated technologies promote more fuel efficiency for aircraft and commercial transportation. For more information, visit www.howmet.com , including content shared during the Company’s May 2022 Technology Day.
Howmet is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance to complete your application due to a disability, please email [email protected]