As the Engineering Technician, you will apply engineering principles to conduct the preventative and downtime maintenance for the industrial layout and manufacturing production, under the direction of engineering staff. This will involve principles in electrical, mechanical and boiler operations of the production facility. Install and perform maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment consistent with Seaboard policies and procedures. Other duties include welding and fabrication, pipe fitting, boiler maintenance, insulating, installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment, repairing building structure. Follow safety rules and regulations as established by Seaboard. Utilizing engineer theory and experience may perform studies in the facility to establish production rates that improve efficiency. Apply principles of mechanical engineering to adjust machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Observe and understand the flow of all products at specified stages in the production process or adherence to specifications that are delivered to and from the feed mill.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in quality, costs, or efficiency of automation equipment, by developing a full understanding, internally and externally, of the facility.
- Develop a full understanding of automation systems that control all the areas of the production facility.
- Upgrade, innovate, and confer with other staff and feed mill management to determine when maintenance will least interfere with operations.
- Maintain records of planned and completed maintenance utilizing work orders and maintenance logs to verify that records adhere to equipment specifications.
- Analyze or estimate maintenance costs, such as production equipment, and plant space.
- Perform timely repair, routine maintenance, and preventative maintenance on various mechanical and electrical equipment in the system used during regular operations.
- Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and electrical and electronic testing devices
- Inspect drives, motors, belts, and other operating devices. Check fluid levels, clean, or lubricate shafts, bearings, gears, replace filters, or perform other maintenance actions following established checklists.
- Recognize and diagnose mechanical problems, and determine corrective action needed, by observing worker performance.
- Review complex blueprints, piping, sketches, schematics and wiring diagrams to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems such as redesign.
- Other duties as requested by management.
- Assists in maintenance activities including grounds maintenance.
- Associate degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology, or at least two years’ related experience.
- Ability to solve problems in theoretical knowledge in field of discipline.
- Ability to read and write reports and business correspondence, ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, employees, and visitors.
- Must be able to make decisions on routine matters utilizing company policies, procedures, and directions from upper management.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred, not required.
- Proficient experience in welding, electrical troubleshooting, and PLC (programmable logic controllers), preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is commonly exposed to airborne particles and gasses at low concentrations and cold or humid weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to waste material, feed and hog dust.
ABOUT SEABOARD FOODS
At Seaboard Foods, we create the most sought-after pork. A top U.S. pork producer/processor and leading exporter to 30+ countries, we are committed to bringing excellence to the table, seeking a better way to produce wholesome pork and connect every step between our farms and family tables. Together, more than 5,000 employees in five states work in our farms, feed mills, and processing plant, to produce Prairie Fresh® pork, ensuring the well-being of our animals, the environment, our employees and the communities we call home.
Seaboard Foods is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $19.52 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Extended hours
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person