Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA)
Growing, Succeeding and Designing Our Future Together
We are looking for future team members who are excited to make an impact. As an employee-owned company, we are dedicated to the betterment of our clients, our communities, and our employees. Your contribution is key to the quality-of-service SMA delivers. Throughout your career with SMA, there will be opportunities for you to improve the skills you need to achieve your professional goals. We encourage you to explore innovative ways to develop solutions while collaborating with team members inside and outside the organization by providing the framework for you to find success.
We don't just talk about being client-focused; the engineers, scientists, surveyors, technicians and other professionals at SMA live and breathe it. After all, we are members of the communities we help.
Souder, Miller & Associates is recruiting for a Staff Engineer I/II/III for our Tribal Client Community. The position is located in our Albuquerque, NM and/or Window Rock, AZ office. Staff Engineer I/II/III assists with projects by performing the duties related to the successful completion and delivery of a project. Assignments typically include a mixture of field and office duties, working on teams and independently. New and varied assignments may be made frequently requiring flexibility in travel, self- directed learning skills and heightened social interaction. Field assignments can be frequent, and duration can extend beyond one week.
- Acquire and develop basic technical skills.
- Apply prescribed techniques and procedures in accordance with established criteria to perform assigned tasks.
- Perform routine technical work which does not require previous experience.
- Collect data and gather information or documents. Perform standard computations or analysis. Prepare drawings and visual aids.
- Perform occasional drafting and/or figure development using technical software as required.
- Assist in client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects.
- Assist in the development of scopes of work and cost estimates for projects.
- Attend client meetings and complete field investigations, day or night; ability to complete overnight travel unassisted, sometimes extending several consecutive nights to in excess of one week.
- Assist in the preparation or modification of various types of reports, specifications, plans, subcontractor schedules and permits.
- Instruct technicians and/or appropriate staff in their duties in support of assigned projects.
- Direct a variety of field work using subcontractors and/or staff.
- Serve as onsite project representative and provide construction observation services.
- May be designated as responsible for onsite health and safety plan administration.
- Responsible for job specific quality system tasks as defined in corporate documents.
- Acquire and understand professional and ethical responsibilities toward co-workers, the corporation, regulatory agencies and clients.
- Demonstrate increasing levels of efficiency and independence.
- Recognize and operate within limitations while seeking advice as needed.
- Develop awareness of potential liabilities associated with the technical aspects of the area of expertise.
- Adhere to the appropriate document review requirements and understand the need to provide technical solutions that protect the company.
- Complete and submit expense reports in a timely manner.
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate engineering or science.
- Minimum 1 year of experience required post-graduation preferred.
- In-training certificate or similar, as appropriate.
- Should actively pursue professional registration and/or certification.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, ESOP, Life/ADD/Short Term/Long Term Insurance, Voluntary Insurance, FSA, Dependent Care.
- Wellness program for employees, flexible work schedule, ID Theft Protection.
- Paid Time Off, Jury Duty Pay.
- Education Reimbursement and Professional dues.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able and willing to frequently lift and/or move 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $29.00 - $37.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Window Rock, AZ: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Are actively pursuing professional registration and/or certification?
- Driver's License (Required)
- Fundamentals of Engineering (Preferred)
- Engineer In Training (Preferred)
Work Location: In person