Location: Knoxville, TN
Title: Senior MEP Engineer
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: As Needed
Clearance: Ability to Obtain
At LBYD Federal, “Large Firm Expertise, Small Firm Responsive”, is our motto we live by and practice each day. With the capability to produce high quality designs in a fun, supportive and exciting atmosphere, we recognize our employees are our greatest asset. We offer an exciting variety of opportunities for employees to develop and grow their careers, working alongside diverse and supportive team members to achieve success. We maintain our responsiveness to clients and partners by allowing our employees the autonomy to achieve success.
Along with a competitive benefits package and 401(k) matching, we strive to maintain a 98% employee retention rate, by providing our employees endless growth opportunities. Unique opportunities such as a formalized mentorship program, professional development through North Wind University, a wellness program, celebrating our employees time with us through our employee service awards program, and many others meant to enhance the employee experience ultimately led to high employee satisfaction. Additionally, we strive to support the communities we live, work, and enjoy by taking part in community fundraisers, and volunteering through local and national organizations.
We give you the flexibility to achieve your best work by offering hybrid working options, while fostering a culture of inclusivity, equity and diversity, creating a workplace we feel everyone can achieve success. We take pride in the impact our employees make as leaders, no matter the level within the organization. You will be connected with like-minded, high achieving individuals upon joining our organization leading and participating in the most challenging designs across the world.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.).
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or similar engineering curriculum
- 15+ plus years of HVAC design experience in the MEP industry, preferably in commercial and/or federal.
- Experience in managing HVAC design projects.
- Excellent verbal, written, computer, technical data, spreadsheet, and presentation communication and organizational skills.
- Capacity to mentor and train younger engineers.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- LEED, Green Globes, CEM or other industry credentials
- Commissioning experience with BCxP credential or similar.
- Additional plumbing design experience preferred: sewerage, domestic hot and cold water, recirculation, chilled water, steam, compressed air, industrial gasses, storm drains, fire protection.
- Proficiency in the following computer applications:
- Autodesk Revit
- Trane Trace / Carrier Hap
- BLCC / COMCheck
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide mentorship and guidance to younger engineers developing MEP skillsets.
- Design HVAC systems for commercial, industrial, and federal buildings.
- Calculate thermal loads, pressure drop, for buildings to ensure proper system sizing.
- Perform energy analysis to ASHRA 90.1, Federal Sustainability, LEED, LCCA, and make energy-efficient recommendations.
- Select and specify HVAC equipment such as air handlers, chillers, boilers, pumps, fans, ductwork, and supports.
- Develop HVAC system schematics, layouts, P&ID, V&IDs, details, schedules, and logic diagrams.
- Create and reviewing HVAC system specifications, drawings, calculations, and submittals.
- Provide engineering support during construction/commissioning and conduct field inspections as required to verify installation compliance with design plans and specifications.
- Manage and complete multiple tasks in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- Provide regular performance feedback and annual merit reviews to the design team.
- Technical coordination and communication within the department, as well as between other departments, Project Managers, leadership, and clients.
- Oversee the technical accuracy of the work product by defining and implementing the design concept, leading the development, actively reviewing work products for accuracy and completeness during design, and taking responsibility for overall quality of design and construction documents.
- Perform peer reviews of other professionals' work within their discipline as well as be in charge of work by sealing construction documents as a licensed P.E. for most of the projects within the department.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, trends, and developments in the field of mechanical engineering.
- Interface with vendors to accomplish equipment sizing, hydronic piping system design and selection of mechanical equipment
- Perform site observations, studies, and write technical reports.
- Review, edit, and develop project specifications specific to their discipline
- Assist Project Managers in developing proposals by providing hours, sheet count, scope of work, project strategy and constraints, and appropriate clarifications and exclusions.
- Attend and participate in Local, Regional and National Organizations that are involved in the development of the profession or the regulatory guidelines that form the framework of the practice.
- Extensive project management experience.
- Ability to maintain a high level of organization and attention to detail on various projects.
- Working knowledge of industry codes and standards, design specifications, and construction administration.
- Successful management of large and complex projects.
- Ability to travel as needed.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.
Job Type: Full-time