Ipsen is a drug free workplace.
The Controls Engineer works with moderate supervision to perform progressively more skilled work to design, develop, and improve new and existing electrical control systems to meet customer requirements and project objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs new electrical controls systems and improves existing systems.
- Creates electrical schematics and panel drawings while maintaining a focus on industry standards & compliances.
- Identifies material requirements, establishes the design parameters, and completes the design of the product and components to meet specific customer requirements.
- Partners with Purchasing to evaluate customer drawings, review specifications, and provide recommendations for finalizing and approving quotes from suppliers. May work directly with suppliers to review product requirements and evaluate quotes.
- Offers creative, unique, and effective design solutions when presented with complex engineering challenges.
- Utilizes data management software (Vault) to properly record the design history of the project
- Leads efforts for controls system testing and validation procedures.
- Responds to questions or issues that occur in the production of products. Evaluates the problem, determines the corrective action and executes the solution.
- Responds to customer requests from both sales and aftermarket teams for a specific product or design.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers
- Able to balance urgency with sensitivity to meet customer needs and budget implications.
- Understanding of national and international codes including NFPA codes 70 & 79, IEC, ISO, etc.
- Ability to setup/configure communication networks (EtherNet/IP, EtherCAT, IO-Link, ControlNet, DeviceNet, etc.).
- Proficiency in electrical troubleshooting using standard electrical test equipment - multimeters, data acquisition sensors
- Ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical drawings
- Demonstrated understanding of system operating requirements, safety risks and equipment and material limitations
- Good communications skills required in a team-oriented, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Education and Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related engineering field required.
- 3+ years designing controls for industrial equipment required.
- Experience drawing electrical schematics required.
- Experience using AutoCAD electrical software preferred.
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting, process controls, electrical equipment, PLC programs, HMI applications, sensors, valves, motors, drives, VFD motion control strongly preferred.
Physical/Visual/Mental/ Environmental Factors
The demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job of Controls Engineer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Regularly required to sit and use hands and finger dexterity.
2. Occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms.
3. Occasionally required to lift up to 10-20 pounds.
4. Regularly requires close vision, hearing and talking.
5. Exposure to moderate noise level while in office.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $72,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person