Job TitleControls Design & Support Engineer
The position of Controls Systems Engineer reports to the Vice President of Consulting Services. The Cultivation Systems Engineer (CSE) provides accurate and timely design services, using Revit and other design software for clients. Examples of design work shall include control system design to meet the requirements expressed in the project’s mechanical plans and equipment submittals, automation networks and integrations, dimming and lighting controls, wiring diagrams, and facility layouts.
Final offer is based on qualifications which may be outside the pay range provided.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee follows all Department Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) of urban-gro, pursuant to the most recent and relevant copy of same. A copy of the SOP is reviewed with the Employee and the Employee’s manager with a signed acknowledgement in the Employee’s Human Resources file.
- Employee follows all urban-gro rules, directives, and guidance as defined in the employee handbook. A copy of the Employee Handbook is reviewed with the Employee and Human Resources with a signed acknowledgement in the Employee’s Human Resources file.
- The Cultivation Systems Engineer (CSE) provides accurate and timely design services, using Revit and other design software for clients.
- Examples of design work shall include control system design to meet the requirements expressed in the project’s mechanical plans and equipment submittals, automation networks and integrations, dimming and lighting controls, wiring diagrams, and facility layouts.
- Responsibilities will also include on-site start up and ongoing support of designed and installed cultivation systems.
- The startup will involve low voltage controls systems as well as water distribution equipment designed and provided by urban-gro.
- Commissioning/startups will be coordinated with various suppliers of control systems and equipment manufacturers.
- CSE is knowledgeable of Revit based design systems and capable of utilizing these systems to perform their daily duties.
- CSE works independently to better understand and utilize Revit based design systems, directly engaging Vice President of Consulting Services with questions and inquiries during the design phase of projects.
- CSE is able to work in Microsoft Office software including word and excel and outlook for email management.
- CSE maintains a list of all open projects and reports as requested to Project Manager and/or Vice President of Consulting Services.
- CSE takes initiative to report on project status, timelines, completion dates, goals, landmarks, and roadblocks.
- CSE takes part in weekly Design Team Meetings
- CSE is proficient at providing the following design aspects recording and providing the same as required on a project basis.
- Determine appropriate control points for 3rd-party equipment based-on project equipment submittals and/or MEP drawings
- Determine appropriate software points for integration of 3rd-party equipment based-on supplied equipment software registries
- Determine appropriate network protocol and provide network riser based-on supplied equipment controller documentation
- Propose most efficient layout of sensors and control panels
- Determine control system network length and segments
- Determine estimated power requirements for control panels and/or devices
- Confirm that selected sensors are most-appropriate for the application
- Propose sequencing for climate control to maintain temperature, relative humidity, carbon dioxide, and light
- CSE is proficient at providing the following controls designs recording and providing the same as required on a project basis.
- Design Schematic showing details such as control panels, sensor layout, equipment
- Control and dimming panel schedules
- System detail drawings/shop drawings(field terminations, installation of sensors, etc.)
- Network riser diagram
- Create parts list
- Confirm final parts list
- CSE is proficient at providing the following equipment specific designs recording and providing the same as required on a project basis.
- controls worksheet
- Confirmation of controls provider load list
- Confirm controls provider wiring drawings
- CSE performs peer reviews of all design work for Design Team members.
- CSE is responsible for maintenance of all relevant documentation to the appropriate shared files in the system.
- CSE owns the organization and current structure of the Deliverables Folder and the Archive Folder within assigned project folders.
- CSE works with Account Management team collectively and individually on a project by project basis to ensure accurate timely and efficient transfer of information, data, documents and project deliverables between internal teams in an effort to provide same to sales team members and clients.
- CSE communicates externally and internally with urban-gro team members, clients, vendors, freight brokers, and other service providers, under the direction of the Vice President of Consulting Services. Such communication may be conducted in-person, by phone, or email. Work based communications should not be conducted via text message. All communications should be of the utmost professional nature.
- CSE supports the continuous improvement of the Design Department with regard to processes, procedures, workflow. CSE brings process improvement suggestions to the attention of the Vice President of Consulting Services for approval then owns the implementation process if so assigned.
- CSE performs other tasks as required and directed by Vice President of Consulting Services and other urban-gro executives.
- CSE coordinates with control system vendors the following for purposes of quoting and project coordination on a project basis.
- Project documentation and scope of work
- Review and approval of quotes
- Coordination of approved quote to the Account Manager for purposes of generating the equipment order form.
- CSE is able to troubleshoot client issues with low voltage controls and water distribution equipment on site and virtually with assistance as needed from other ug team members and/or vendors of devices and equipment.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in biology, engineering, design, construction management or related field. 5+ years of experience in agricultural/horticulture industry, and/or construction industry. Extensive experience in design and construction of greenhouse facilities. Must have 5+ years of experience advising/consulting in an industrial or maintenance environment related to electrical work and plumbing. Familiarity with building control systems, and how they integrate with other systems in a building such as HVAC, electrical panels and plumbing systems in order to advise clients. Experience working with engineers and general contractors and attending project meetings as a knowledgeable, solutions-oriented consultant of the company. General knowledge or self-driven interest in greenhouse and controlled environment agriculture facilities.
Preferred Education and Experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Ability to travel throughout the US and other countries without restrictions is a requirement.
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Referral program
- Employee assistance program
urban-gro, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all Employees and applicants in all Company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year