Job Title: Sustaining Engineer
Location: Cleveland, OH
About Avon Protection and Team Wendy
We design and produce life-critical personal protection solutions for the world’s militaries and first responders. With a portfolio that includes Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear (“CBRN”), protection. We do this through our two brands, Avon Protection and Team Wendy. At Team Wendy we make head protection for the military and first responders.
Purpose of Position:
The Sustaining Engineer leads efforts to maintain, adapt, and improve the design of Team Wendy helmets and related head protection products which are in the sustainment phase of the product life cycle. Core responsibilities include failure mode analysis, continuing improvement projects, managing engineering change records, and organizing product performance documentation. The Sustainment Engineer is part of the Product Development department but also works closely with Purchasing, Manufacturing, and Quality Assurance teams when troubleshooting issues that emerge with products or their component parts. This position supports Sales and Customer Service by providing technical information product specifications and performance. Occasionally this position may lead engineering change projects that allow our products to meet the requirements of a specific sales opportunity. The growing number of Team Wendy products and potential markets has elevated the need for technical resources dedicated to product sustainment and improvement efforts.
- Lead engineering design efforts to reduce the risk of failure in existing helmet and head protection products.
- Lead product design modifications when required by specific applications, such as new sales opportunities or contracts.
- Contribute to Continuous Improvement and Corrective Actions in collaboration with Purchasing, Manufacturing, and Quality teams
- Maintain engineering change records for products in sustainment phase - Maintain organized records of product specifications and performance test reports.
- Schedule performance testing for products in sustainment phase, testing may be routing or opportunity specific.
- Contribute to the creation of FMEA documents and update documents through product life - Provide technical support to Sales and Customer service teams.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- 3 years experience in product design, manufacturing and /or quality assurance
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering , or related field from an accredited university
- Demonstrated proficiency in drawing creation, including GD&T, using Engineering CAD software (e.g.; SolidWorks or CREO)
- Demonstrated ability to work within document control procedures (e.g.; engineering changes, revision control, ISO:9001 procedures, etc.)
Preferred Skills and/or Experiences
- Experience contributing to cross-functional teams
- Experience with data analysis, statistics, and design of experiments
- Experience with product configuration management
- Strong foundation of mechanical design and material science
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within Avon that may present access to export controlled technical data, Avon must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at Avon's sole election.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without a sponsorship for employment visa status (e.e. H1B status).
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability